A Travellerspoint blog

Hatton - Galle - Saturday, 3 February 2018

Drive to Galle

sunny 29 °C

Hotel - Fort Bazaar, 26 Church Street, Galle Fort - Room No 17

We are all very sad this morning as we have to leave this magnificent haven in the hills and head down to Galle on the coast. We have a seven hour drive ahead of us, and a lot of it on winding, mountain roads.

A few final photos of the garden.


As we weren't leaving until 11 am, we had a late leisurely breakfast/brunch at 9.30 am and put our bags out at 10 am and we were on the road at 11, heading for our rendezvous with the six others who were staying at the Norwood Estate.

Scenes from the bus.


Phil and I told Didier about a good game to play on the bus to relieve the boredom. It is called Truth and Lies and each person has to write three statements on a piece of paper - one truth and two lies and when they are read out, the people on the bus have to guess who it is and then, with a show of hands, vote for which one they think is true. It's a lot of fun and we learn so much more about our travelling companions. When it has been determined which is the truthful statment, then that person is invited to elaborate on their statement and tell the story surrounding it.

We all had a boxed lunch from our hotel and two "comfort" stops and the seven hours just flew. This is our boxed lunch.


We arrived in Galle about about 5.30 pm and were checked in and in our rooms by 6.00 pm. Our room is comfortable and roomy, albeit minimillest. Poor Scenic. After our magnificent accommodation at Hatton, they should have flown us straight home because NOTHING ever again will compare with that!


The bus was not allowed inside the fort prescincts so we all trooped through the archway and walked for about 10 minutes until we reached our hotel - the Fort Bazaar.


We had about an hour to settle in and freshen up and change for dinner and then we all met in the foyer and walked a couple of minutes to a restaurant called The Fort Printers. I had quite a nice meal of Beetroot Carpachio, Lobster Curry and Pav. The curry was supposed to be mild but their idea of mild and mine is totally different! I have been perservering with the curries but I find them hot and spicey, so I guess you could say I'm not having much success, though all the food so far has been amazing and beautifully presented. While eating the pre meal hummus, I found a stone as big as an adult tooth in my mouth and for one horrifying moment, I thought it was MY tooth. But luckily it wasn't. I showed it to Didier when we returned to the hotel and he was horrified too. He took the stone back to the restaurant to show them, but there is not much they can do. Just be aware that sometimes these things happen.


Galle has a population of about 400.000. It has a very nice feel to it and a lot of the old buildings have been restored and maintained. I am looking foward to seeing it in the daylight. The Portuguese were the first in Galle, followed by the Dutch and then the British. The locals had never seen bread or wine before and they thought the Portuguese were eating rocks and drinking blood.

During the British time, there was a very bad malaria epidemic and many, many locals died. They refused to work for the British who then had to get workers from Tamil Naidu in India to pick the tea. The tea in this area is called "low grown tea". It has a stronger flavour and is liked by the Arabians.

Galle is right on the coast of the Indian Ocean. We are now back in the humidity.

Posted by gaddingabout 09:18 Archived in Sri Lanka

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.